Reviewed and updated March 3, 2021
The Roberts City Library provides reading material and information services in a variety of formats.
Purpose of the Policy:
This policy provides guidelines for day to day withdrawal decisions. It informs the community, the Roberts City Library Board of Trustees, and the Roberts City Council as to the policy of weeding the collection. These guidelines are designed to develop and maintain an outstanding, well balanced collection of the best and most useful materials available to meet the need of the community.
The Board of Trustees recognizing the need for a small public library to best serve the community is by providing a collection of materials that are actively used.
Regular weeding maintains the dynamic quality of the collection. Continuous review and evaluation are important not only for saving space, but to maintain the collections accuracy and access the physical condition of all materials in the collection.
Decisions about which materials to be discarded shall be made initiated the Library Director, but approved by the Board of Trustees. The C.R.E.W. system for weeding (published by the University of Texas) will be used as a guideline for the Director. (For information about C.R.E.W. please see the C.R.E.W. manual).
Titles and materials are withdrawn from the collection by the Library Director and the Library’s Board of Trustees based on use, physical condition, amount of each item, as well as other reasons based on the guidelines of the C.R.E.W. manual.
- Disregard items in poor physical condition
- Eliminate materials that out-of-date information
- Reduce the number of copies of titles that are no longer relevant to the interests of the community
- Circulation statistics by subject
- Circulation trends by user groups
- Recommendations by patron surveys and comments
- Items to be removed from the selection will be selected by the Librarian Director.
- Items will then have a disposal slip (Appendix 1) that gives explanation of why and what to do with the item.
- Board of Trustee Members will review the items and disposal slips for approval.
- Items will be removed after the disposal slip has been initialed by the Library Director and a Board member.
This policy will be reviewed every 3 years during a monthly board meeting. Adjustments to the needs expressed by the community and by the results of evaluation data kept during the previous years. Factors to be reviewed are:
Date: 03/03/2021 Review by Date: 03/10/2024